goal

Here on our little hillside, in WV, we try to live a simple life. One where we can try to make the best decisions in regards to what we feed our family, and where we source our foods. We try to make green decision that are not only good for our family but for our community and planet as well. There is no place I would rather raise a family, than these WV hills! So I guess it is our responsibility to preserve them, and our heritage.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Wineberry Jam


Wineberries

Take a look at those beautiful berries!!   I lucked in to finding a great patch of these!  My father and I went for a few hours and picked about a gallon total.  We took a half a gallon each and both made jam.  They made theirs the normal way, and I removed about half my seeds making more of a jelly/jam.

Once the berries have been cleaned, you add them to the stove top with a small amount of water and start to heat and smash.  You can make jam numerous ways.  My mom added equal parts of sugar and berries and just cooked it down to the thickness she desired.  I added about half the sugar and pectin to thicken mine.  Whichever way you choose, you will not regret making your own round of jam with the batch batch of fresh berries you get.  And what a better way to stretch the berry love than with jam and jelly you can enjoy all year round??


Wineberry Jam

I we both ended up with about 3 half pint jars of delicious Wineberry Jam.  It is so tasty!  I did end up getting about another half gallon and will juice these berries and freeze it, I plan on attempting wine.  With a name like Wineberries, I think this is a good plan!    You have to love the bounty provided to us by these WV hills, you just have to get out and look around!  These mountains have sustained our people for hundreds of years.