goal

Here on our little hillside, in WV, we try to live a simple life. One where we can try to make the best decisions in regards to what we feed our family, and where we source our foods. We try to make green decision that are not only good for our family but for our community and planet as well. There is no place I would rather raise a family, than these WV hills! So I guess it is our responsibility to preserve them, and our heritage.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Strawberry Freezer Jam

Every year the local High School FFA does a fundraiser where they sell strawberries.  Every year, we support them.  I made a few rounds of Strawberry Freezer Jam this year.  We also ate some fresh berries, and I used the extra crushed berries to make strawberry syrup.  I ended up with a double batch of jam.  I will do more later in the year as our berries ripen.


I began by removing the stems and soaking the berries in water and a few drops of my doTerra Lemon oil.  I used a stainless steel bowl and used this as a pre-wash for the berries.  Lemon Oil can dissolve petrochemicals, since I know these berries are conventionally grown and not organic.  I am hoping that this oil/water rinse will help remove any petro based pesticides/herbicides/etc.  It is also a good cleaner in general and food safe.  I always use this oil when cleaning fruit.  I then rinsed the berries in cold water and proceeded to cleaning and cutting them up.




I added them to the food processor and pulsed until they were to my desired thickness.


Freezer jam is super sweet and we add twice as much sugar as berries.
I had 4 cups of crushed berries and 8 cups of sugar along with 2 tsp of lemon juice for my double batch.  Mix this well and let it sit for about 10 minutes while you prepare the pectin.

Mix 3/4 cup of water with each packet of pectin (or as directions indicate) into a sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.  Mix into the berry/sugar mixture for 3 minutes or until well combined. Put into freezer safe containers and place on counter for 24 hours then add to freezer for long term storage.



Strawberry freezer Jam has always been a favorite in our house.  My Mammaw always made it, and my mom.  In fact they both still make multiple batches each year.  My Mammaw started mixing strawberry and blueberry and man is it good!!  Especially on homemade vanilla ice cream!!