goal

Here on our little hillside, in WV, we try to live a simple life. One where we can try to make the best decisions in regards to what we feed our family, and where we source our foods. We try to make green decision that are not only good for our family but for our community and planet as well. There is no place I would rather raise a family, than these WV hills! So I guess it is our responsibility to preserve them, and our heritage.

Monday, June 22, 2015

dehydrated strawberries


I can not even begin to describe to you how good my house smells right now!!  We have had a fairly good strawberry harvest, and some of the local stores have had pretty good sales.  So we decided to try dehydrating some as well.  Strawberries have close to 90% water content so you want to slice them at least a quarter to half inch thick.  






I soaked my store bought berries in water with doTERRA Lemon oil before I dehydrated them.  I thought since the Lemon oil helps dissolve petrochemicals, it would help wash away any petroleum based chemicals on the conventionally grown/ store bought fruit.













Seriously, they smell SO GOOD!!!





Why stop at strawberries?  I had a few extra trays and a few ripe bananas.  These should be sliced at 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Bananas are about 76% water content.




Each Dehydrator will have different settings, so check yours to see the recommendations for fruit.  If doing in an oven or you don't have directions, try to dry fruit at about 130-135 degrees.


We also made some strawberry shortcake.  I used some sugar and two drops of doTERRA Lemon oil for these strawberries!!   Delicious!!!  This was about a half gallon of our organically grown garden strawberries.