goal

Here on our little hillside, in WV, we try to live a simple life. One where we can try to make the best decisions in regards to what we feed our family, and where we source our foods. We try to make green decision that are not only good for our family but for our community and planet as well. There is no place I would rather raise a family, than these WV hills! So I guess it is our responsibility to preserve them, and our heritage.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

raspberry cobbler

I  decided on a cold winters day that it was time to break into my frozen berry stash.  What better way to enjoy those berries than in a delicious cobbler.  It was a desperate attempt to create a bit summer in the dead of  winter, and I think we came pretty close.  :)

When I froze the berries, I added a little sugar to them so they would be ready for cobbler or crisp when I needed them.  I also froze them in quarts, because for either a crisp or cobbler, you would need at least a quart of berries.  I  thawed them out and added them to a 9x9 baking dish.  I didn't need to add anything to them, just sprinkle with a little flour to thicken the juices as it cooked.  
The cobbler topping is very similar to a biscuit recipe, but sweeter.

Mix 1 Cup Flour
2 TBSP Sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Then chunk in the cold butter
mix till it looks like course crumbs
beat 1 egg with 1/4 C milk
mix with flour mixture and spoon on top of the berries

I sprinkle dough with a little extra sugar, then Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until underneath of topping isn't doughy anymore.
 Then serve and enjoy!!
 I like mine with milk and sugar!!