goal

Here on our little hillside, in WV, we try to live a simple life. One where we can try to make the best decisions in regards to what we feed our family, and where we source our foods. We try to make green decision that are not only good for our family but for our community and planet as well. There is no place I would rather raise a family, than these WV hills! So I guess it is our responsibility to preserve them, and our heritage.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

homemade pancakes

As my daughter starts eating more and more solid foods, I am looking for more healthy recipes to make that she can snack on.  I don't like to buy store bought snacks, and prefer to make things from scratch so I can control what goes in my food.  So I have been on the hunt for healthy baby friendly foods.  I made pancakes the other day, and it was hilarious to she her eat them.  She took one bite and her eyes got really big.  Then she proceeded to eat an entire pancake, I am not sure she came up for a breath while shoveling it in!  I am not a totally strict mamma.  I did put a teeny tiny bit of butter and syrup on hers.  This could explain why she liked it so much.   :)

There are 101 different pancake recipes.  You can make so many substitutions or additions, the possibilities are endless.  I used a basic recipe.  It uses milk, cause quite frankly, I hardly ever have buttermilk on hand.

Pancakes
1 3/4 C Flour
2 TBSP Sugar
1 TBSP Baking powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 egg lightly beaten
1 1/2  C Milk

add dry ingredients to bowl mix in milk & egg
let raise a little then cook on griddle.



Stack them, top them, serve them, and eat them.  

The variations on this basic recipe are endless.  Adding vanilla, banana, pumpkin, chocolate chips, blueberries, applesauce, etc. Using Wheat flour, whole grain, multi-grain, or a mixture.  Using Stevia, Agave, or some other sweetener.  Whatever you feel like, but a basic recipe is always a good place to start.

I do however recommend you have a good castiron griddle.  And Lodge makes the best.