goal

Here on our little hillside, in WV, we try to live a simple life. One where we can try to make the best decisions in regards to what we feed our family, and where we source our foods. We try to make green decision that are not only good for our family but for our community and planet as well. There is no place I would rather raise a family, than these WV hills! So I guess it is our responsibility to preserve them, and our heritage.

Monday, November 19, 2012

beer bread

I was first introduced to beer bread at a Tastefully Simple party.  It was a sweet, yeasty, heavy bread that was just so good.  I wondered what it would be like, if it was made with a good beer.  It was a little pricey, but I had to have it!  It was yummy!  I have seen a few different brands of boxed mixes since then, but had not stumbled across a recipe until recently.  The ingredients are so basic and inexpensive.  All you needed was a can of beer.

Mix your dry ingredients
(The recipe below is the one I found.  It can altered.)

3 cups flour                                                               
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

add 12oz of beer










It will be gooey, but that is okay, add it to a greased or well buttered loaf pan

Melt 2 tsp of butter and put on top..... this helps to keep the bread moist. 


Add to a loaf pan and bake @ 375 degrees for about 40-45 minutes






As I make this bread I find myself wondering what it would taste like to add some Blue Moon beer and maybe some orange zest and cranberry.....or maybe a cheesy herb bread with a dark Guinness....I don't know?  After making this bread, I decided I like mine a little sweeter.  Next time I will probably add a few more tsp. of sugar to the recipe.   Have fun with this basic recipe and make it your own.  I would love to hear how you alter this.  Please comment below with your changes and additions....Enjoy!!