goal

Here on our little hillside, in WV, we try to live a simple life. One where we can try to make the best decisions in regards to what we feed our family, and where we source our foods. We try to make green decision that are not only good for our family but for our community and planet as well. There is no place I would rather raise a family, than these WV hills! So I guess it is our responsibility to preserve them, and our heritage.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Homemade Apple Pie

The apples are starting to fall from the tree, and we are being beat to them by the local deer!!

We went out and gathered a bunch of apples and the first thing on the menu was a homemade apple pie.  My great grandmother had a wonderful pie crust recipe that has been passed down through the generations, and I have been wanting a reason to make it.
After washing the apples, I peeled, cored and sliced them into sugar and cinnamon.  Then got on to making my crust.  I will share with you my family recipe for apple pie.

1 Cup Crisco
2/3 Cup boiling water
pour water over Crisco until melty.....can be microwaved a few seconds if not melting up...
add
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 Cups of flour ( add more if needed if dough is sticky)

This recipe make 3 pie shells

roll out dough to line 9 inch pie pan
add cinnamon sugar coated apples
sprinkle in a little flour
and a few pats of butter

You can add a top crust that is decorative to release steam or do a lattice top.  For lattice top, just roll out dough and cut into strips longer than pie pan.  Criss cross them and cut off extra dough. Then seal edges.

bake at 350 degree for at least 30 minutes or longer if apples are not tender.  Be sure to keep an eye out that the crust does not burn, it may need rotated in the oven to avoid hot spots.   You can also brush your top crust with an egg white wash to make it shiny.

So this used two of my crusts and I had one left.....what ever shall I do?????

I had to make a pumpkin pie too.....
Which left me with some leftover pumpkin pie filling and I decided to make pumpkin muffins.
I used the pie filling and added some self rising flour, walnuts, a little sugar and vanilla....

There are still plenty of apples left.  I am planning on making apple pie filling and canning it, but I just might need to make a few more fresh pie too.